If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing place to wander far from everything, this is the right spot for you. This is a organized route, well maintained and mostly plain. In the projects of the municipalities concerned the path should have started from the Mill of San Cassiano at the sources of river Pesa around Radda in Chianti and end up at Montelupo Fiorentino, where the river pours into the Arno, overall a 56 kilometers track. So far are open the ways from the Ginestra Fiorentina to Montelupo, some short ways from Ginetra to Cerbaia and uninterrupted one from Cerbaia to Ponte di Rignana for a length of about 25 km. This path that runs parallel to the river for a large part of its itinerary is of rare beauty. In an absolute silence (except the short segments where it lines the superstrada Firenze and Siena). You will flank vineyards, hills dotted with houses and farms. In this path you can meet people who’s walking or going jogging, people riding, cyclists, and some rare car of the few residents, but, if you are lucky, you can see even fallow deers, foxes, roe deers, hares and pheasants (the area is a hunting reserve from Cerbaia to Ponte Rotto). The best moments of walking along these paths are the late spring when nature is lush and the river has a good flow rate of water, or in autumn, when it is possible to admire the typical colors of this season. Along the track there are here and there rest stands with rudimentary seats built with large stones. During the summer months, even if in the path it is never too hot thanks to the air flowing coming from the river, it is advisable to have with you a bottle of water or a canteen.
Way from Cerbaia to Bargino (about 15 km) This route has three entrances, from Cerbaia, from the Ponte Rotto under San Casciano and from Bargino.
• Access from Cerbaia you pass the bridge over the river Sugana, on the Via Empolese near to the first houses of the village, then, crossed the bridge go right and take the small road that passes through the houses, take it and after 300 meters you will on the path, turn left towards Ponte Rotto, which is reachable in just over an hour on foot. The route runs parallel to the Pesa, in this part the trail goes through a hunting reserve where you can meet fallow deers, roe deers, foxes, hares, pheasants and wild boars. If you want there are some detours, the first is near the first iron bar, the second, for those coming from the opposite direction, leads you to turn left and go straight. The road climbs and after half an hour of challenging journey you will arrive at the Montepaldi farm, an ancient villa, now seat of the University of Florence, where is produced a good Chianti Classico that you can buy directly. From the square in front of the villa you can enjoy a magnificent view, one of the most beautiful on the Pesa and its valley .
If you go on, after about 1 km there is a second detour, it also has an iron bar, necessary to prevent access to not authorized vehicles. Turning left and then left again in 40 minutes you reach Montepaldi, here the road is less intensive than the previous one; if you head instead straight to Mucciana, a small restored hamlet, carrying on you arrive at Poggiale, a charming residence. After a few meters you get to the Via Empolese: if you go left and take the first road, always staying on the left side, after about 800 meters you arrive to the Montepaldi farm. Continuing we return to the river completing a nice ride, perhaps a bit tiring, but very nice. Ignoring the detours you get to Ponte Rotto on the Via Certaldese: here there are two good reasons for a stopover, the Ponte Rotto grocery, great for a sandwich or a schiacciata stuffed with spe-cial cold cuts produced directly by the owner and enjoy a good glass of wine, and the typical trattoria of the Ponte Rotto, a cozy place that serves the typical Tuscan cuisine dishes. To continue towards the Bargino you have to cross the village in the direction of San Casciano; after passing the car park turn right and you will reach the river in a few minutes. A short distance away is the sports park of Botte, delicious, fresh and relaxing, located on the river bank, where you can stop for a coffee, an ice cream or to have dinner in the park restaurant. In the park there are a playground for children, 2 tennis courts, a baseball field and a picnic area equipped with barbecue and seating tables. Obviously in summertime and especially on weekends this place is overcrowded, and it is difficult to find a place to eat outside if you do not arrive early. Going forward you get to a bridge: you are at Calzaiolo, and if you cross the bridge and turn left you can continue to the Bargino, Sambuca and Ponte di Rignana.
Way from Bargino to Ponte di Rignana At the Bargino bridge head towards Sambuca Val di Pesa, pass under the bridge of the Florence-Siena highway that you will flank for a short distance; reached the following bridge, at the top of a short climb you continue straight: here the landscape is more rugged, but equally amazing. It is possible that the path skimmed by the river could be damaged in some parts by the floods of the Pesa; the last stretch of the path has almost completely lacking shade: here you pass close to the ruins of a beautiful farmhouse. On the opposite side of the river there are the Chianti hills with woods, vineyards and the inevitable typical Tuscan farmhouses; behind them the beautiful Vallombrosian abbey of Badia a Passignano. The path ends on a paved road: going to the right you can quickly reach the village of Sambuca, where there is the magnificent Roman bridge and a place not to be missed, the Francini butchery selling excellent meats and cold cuts. Close to the butchery there is a rustic restaurant that offers almost exclusively meat, steaks, barbecue, tartare and cold cuts. All at affordable prices. After the Sambuca Bridge, the road is wonderful but has some difficult stretches: in 5 km you will arrive at the bridge of Rignana. Once here you have the opportunity to continue to Greve in Chianti or Badia a Passignano but are all very challenging routes and you have to be well trained.
• Pieve di San Pancrazio Placed on the hill that divides the Val di Pesa from the Val Virginio, it dates back to the 10th century, as testified by a document found at Badia di Passignano. The building, of evident Roman origins, has undergone heavy alterations in the xv century when the Company of the Annunciation was founded. Later, the Chapel of San Giovanni, the Canonica and the Portal of the main façade were added to the original building. The Church, which owes much to Pievano Niccolò Cavalcanti, who lived there and dedicated all his possessions to its expansion and embellishment, brought there Santi di Tito when he was involved in the construction of Villa le Corti: he left a beautiful painting depicting the Crucifixion of Christ. It has a plan with three naves that ends with likewise circular apses. Of the original Romanesque structure remains the bell tower, the tribune with the three apses (only the central one is intact). Inside the Pieve there are works of considerable interest, a xvi century painting of the Madonna between San Sebastiano and San Rocco and a panel of Cenni di Francesco, important painter and miniaturist of the 1400s, and on the right aisle a fresco of an unknown Tuscan painter, 1300-1400, which depicts the Madonna with child among the Saints. Near the main altar there is a beautiful wooden Crucifix. Not to be missed, next to the church, is the beautiful studio of Niccolò, a room with walls entirely frescoed with stunning paintings. These represent all the arts, the Grammar with the wand skywards indicating God who illuminates the wisdom of men. There are depicted Dante, Boccaccio, Guido Cavalcanti, ancestor of Niccolò. Alongside the scholars of the past Thales, Sophocles, Socrates, Strabo and Empedocles.
This travel tip is part of Danilo Papi’s To the discovery of the Chianti Wine Road. From Florence to San Gimignano and Siena passing by way of Volterra. Click on the banner below if you are interested in buying the book.
The community of smart travelers is real and ready to help you travel smart. We are active on several specific Facebook groups. Join us now yo get direct travel tips about the most exciting destinations
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. Void where prohibited by law. Subject to all federal, state and local laws. Contest begins at 12:01 a.m. US Eastern Time (“ET”) on 5/8/2018 and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on 7/31/2018. (the “Contest Period”). Sponsor’s computer is the official time keeping device for this Contest.
1. Eligibility: The Tiplr’s Best Travel Tip Award (the “Contest”) is open to all the users of the digital platform Tiplr who are 21 years of age or older as of time of entry. Employees, officers, and directors of Tiplr, Inc., and any of their respective parents, subsidiaries, divisions, affiliated companies, dealers, sales representatives, licensees, service agencies, independent contractors, advertising and promotion agencies, web hosting and service and fulfillment providers (all of the foregoing, collectively, “Contest Entities”), and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses) and those living in the same household of each (whether legally related or not), are ineligible to enter or win the Contest. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and to Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. Winning the prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. Sponsor reserves the right to verify the eligibility of the Grand Prize winner.
2. Sponsor: The Sponsor is Tiplr, Inc., 195 Plymouth St. Brooklyn, NY 11201
3. How to Enter: There is NO PURCHASE NECESSARY to participate. A purchase does not increase your chances of winning. There is one (1) way to enter the Contest:
Via microsite: To enter, visit https://tiplr.co/award, complete all required fields of the onscreen registration form and follow the instructions to receive one (1) entry into the Contest. Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. ET on 7/31/2018 to be included in the Best Travel Tip contest.
By entering, you agree to receive emails and join the newsletter lists of Sponsor. No information regarding entries, other than as otherwise set forth in these Official Rules, will be disclosed. Limit one (1) entry per person/email address per method of entry. Any attempt by any entrant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void such entries and that entrant may be disqualified. Use of any automated or computer system to participate is prohibited and will result in disqualification. Normal Internet access and usage charges imposed by your online service may apply. If entering via mobile device, normal phone/data and usage charges imposed by your phone service may apply. Standard data rates may apply if entering via mobile device.
Incomplete, corrupted, or untimely entries are void and will be disqualified. Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for late, illegible, incomplete, or misdirected entries; lost, interrupted, or unavailable network, server, or other connections; or miscommunications, computer or software malfunctions, telephone transmission problems, technical failures, garbled transmissions, damage to a user’s computer equipment (software or hardware), or other errors or malfunctions of any kind, whether human, mechanical, electronic or otherwise. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, Internet service provider, or other organization (which may include an employer) responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Potential Grand Prize Winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder. Entries specifying an invalid, non-working, or inactive email address will be disqualified and ineligible to win.
4. Selection of Grand Prize Winner and Winner Notification: One (1) Grand Prize Winner (“Grand Prize Winner”) will be assigned to the “Best Travel Tip” created on the platform Tiplr (website or iOS app) and the winner will be defined on writing and other skills basis by a panel of judges selected by Sponsor and communicate via email or web channels before the end of 2018 . The potential Grand Prize Winner will be selected from the Travel tips submitted by contest participants on Tiplr during the Contest Period. The potential Grand Prize Winner will be notified via e-mail to the e-mail address provided on the contest entry form. Potential Grand Prize Winner must respond to the email within 48 hours of notification attempt or prize will be forfeited and an alternate Grand Prize Winner will be selected and notified. Once the potential winner has responded, Sponsor will send, via email, an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release which must be executed and returned within 5 days. The contest will be conducted by Sponsor, whose decisions on all matters relating to the Contest shall be final and binding. At the sole discretion of the Sponsor, disqualification, forfeiture and the selection of an alternate Grand Prize Winner may result from any of the following: (1) a potential Grand Prize Winner’s failure to respond to any email notification by the deadline stated within the notification; (2) the return of an email notification as undeliverable after three (3) attempts; (3) potential Grand Prize Winner’s failure to provide Sponsor with satisfactory proof of age, identity and residency; (4) potential Grand Prize Winner’s failure to confirm address and validly claim the prize by the deadline stated within the notification; (5) the potential Grand Prize Winner’s failure to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability/Publicity Release by the deadline stated within the notification; and (6) any other non-compliance with the Official Rules. In the event of prize forfeiture, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, award or not award the forfeited prize to an alternate Grand Prize Winner. Prize will be awarded, provided that it is validly claimed within a week from the announcement, after which no alternate Grand Prize Winner will be selected, nor will an unclaimed prize be awarded. Potential Grand Prize Winner is subject to verification by Sponsor, whose decisions are final and BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE CONTEST. An entrant is not the Grand Prize Winner of the prize unless and until entrant’s eligibility has been verified and entrant has been notified that verification is complete.
Tip’s Creation Guidelines
Tips must be in English (Quality of English will be evaluated and any tips in another language will not be accepted)
Each tip must be at least 150 words
Topic of tip must be travel
Each entrant must create at least 10 tips using their Tiplr account (But there is no limit to the number of tips created)
Each tip must have a good quality photo (When using the website, photos should be at least 800 pixels in width)
Best Tip’s Evaluation Criteria
Quality of text (i.e. well-written, in fluent English, unique/original, off the beaten path, avoids mainstream travel topics, etc.)
Authenticity of information provided
“Smartness” of tip
Ability to select the proper category and location for each tip
5. Grand Prize is a Gift card valued at $1,000 (USD) and it will be delivered to the winner via regular mail or digitally.
Prize Restrictions: Prize cannot be substituted, assigned, transferred, or redeemed for cash; however, Sponsor reserves the right to make equivalent prize substitution at its sole discretion if any advertised prize (or portion of prize) becomes unavailable. Grand Prize Winner is responsible for any loss of prize or portion of prize after it has been delivered. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen prize. Any and all applicable federal, state, and local taxes and all fees and expenses related to acceptance and use of prize not specifically stated herein are the sole responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner.
6. General Conditions: By entering or participating in the Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules, and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. Contest Entities are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information or technical failures of any kind, (2) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; or (3) any other computer, network, technical, human or other error, problem or malfunction that may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing of entries, or the selection or notification of Grand Prize winner. Further, if, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned for reasons outside the control of the Sponsor which, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, may corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest (or portion thereof), Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest (or portion thereof) and in the event of cancellation, the prize will be awarded in a random drawing from among all eligible entries received prior to cancellation. Sponsor also reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify the entry of any individual found to be (a) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or any website operated by the Contest Entities; (b) using any robotic, macro, automatic, programmed or like entry methods, which will void all such entries; (c) violating these Official Rules or the terms of service, conditions of use, and/or general rules of any Sponsor property or service; or (d) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person. Contest Entities are not responsible for claims, injuries, losses or damages of any kind resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the awarding, delivery, acceptance, use, misuse, possession, loss or misdirection of the prize; participation in this Contest or in any activity or travel related thereto or from any interaction with, or downloading of, computer Contest information.
7. Release and Limitations of Liability: By entering, each entrant agrees to defend, indemnify, release and hold harmless Contest Entities from and against any and all losses, demands, damages, rights, claims, actions and liabilities of any kind arising out of or related to (i) entrant’s participation in the Contest or (ii) entrant’s participation in any prize-related activities (including, without limitation, any property loss, damage, personal injury or death caused to any person(s). The Grand Prize Winner and travel companion(s) assume all liability for any injury, death, or damage caused, or allegedly caused, by participating in this Contest or use or redemption of the prize. Any disputes that may arise hereunder shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of New York without regard to the conflicts of laws principles of any jurisdiction. Venue with respect to any such disputes shall be had in the state and federal courts of the State of New York. All taxes are the responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner, who may receive an IRS Form 1099 reflecting the final actual value of the prize, if applicable.
Entrants, by participating, agree that the Contest Entities, and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents will have no liability whatsoever for, and shall be held harmless by entrants against, any liability, for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including death, to persons, or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize or participation in this Contest.
8. Publicity. As a condition of entry into the Contest, except where prohibited by law, each entrant and potential Grand Prize Winner by accepting the prize grants to the Contest Entities, a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license and right, to publicize, broadcast, display and/or otherwise use the Contest entrant’s name, city, state, biographical material and Instagram handle in any media now known or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity for advertising and publicity purposes, without additional review, compensation, permission or approval of Grand Prize Winner.
9. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the District of New York or the appropriate State Court located in New York; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of New York or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York.
10. Privacy: The personal information collected through this Contest is subject to Tiplr, Inc. Policy, located: https://tiplr.com/privacy-policy
11. Official Rules and Winner List: To obtain a copy of these Official Rules or for Grand Prize Winner list requests, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: “Tiplr, Inc. 195 Plymouth St. Brooklyn, NY 11201”. Requests for Grand Prize Winner lists must be received no later than three months after the end of the Contest Period.
The information you provide will only be used in connection with this Contest or in connection with promotional or other activities of Tiplr, Inc.
The community of smart travelers is real and ready to help you travel smart. We are active on several specific Facebook groups. Join us now yo get direct travel tips about the most exciting destinations