Rome; the Capital city of Italy, The Eternal City, the home of the romans….. There are many names for the famously wonderful city of Rome.
Located near the Nisqually Entrance of Mount Rainier National Park, the Kautz Creek Trail offers an accessible stroll through a forest that is still recovering
Rome has lots of cobbles, absolutely true. Bu it’s more accessible than you might think! A fascinating open-air museum, its culture and its food will
Traveling with a disability can be a daunting and tricky task. It can also be the most rewarding, exciting and fulfilling experience. The aim of this travel experience is to enthuse those who are too nervous to travel and to further inspire current travelers out there to continue exploring! There are many ways to travel smart if you have a disability or specific access needs, and here Tiplr explains ways that you can make traveling less stressful and more fun.
As with any trip that anyone goes on, planning is a key element. Although it would be great to be in a world where this isn’t the case, planning is even more important if you have a disability, especially if it is a physical one which prevents the easy use of stairs. When planning a trip or holiday, make sure you do as much research as possible about the area you are going…the general access, the transport, the accommodation, the toilet facilities, the food etc.
To travel smart, you need to try and book as much of your journey and accommodation as possible before you leave. In many of the world’s countries, this is quite easy as there are online sites that help the process. In Europe in particular, this is an easy process that will make your trip much less stressful. A website that is extremely helpful during this process is Accomable, an online booking site for accessible accommodation options. For example, see this travel tip about a beautiful, 13th century accessible apartment in Florence, Italy. Or, if you’re thinking of heading to Germany, check out this adapted apartment in central Berlin. A top tip is to ring the accommodation venue you are looking at. The person on the end of the phone often has more up to date information than the website!
Don’t be afraid to ask! If you want to do something that you think might not be possible, due to a variety of access issues, make sure you ask! It never harms to ask and you may well find yourself being given a totally unique experience. A traveling tip from a wheelchair user is to take advantage of your situation wherever possible. Ask about accessible options and there may well be a hidden passage taking you where you want to go. You’ll never know unless you ask! This tip about travelling by boat in Amsterdam is the perfect example of a smart traveller asking around and finding the only accessible boat trip in the city!
Communication is difficult for everyone when travelling to other countries. These difficulties can be exasperated if you have a disability. Speech difficulties can bring up obstacles when trying to communicate. However, from experience, it is often easier than it sounds! If you are an English speaker, then you are in a good position, as many countries have a wealth of English speakers who can help you to translate or communicate with those who don’t. Sometimes it can also be priceless to travel with someone who can help you to do this.
Sometimes, however well planned a trip is, things don’t go to plan. A train is cancelled, a lift is broken, the accommodation isn’t as expected…and it all seems to be going wrong. If this happens to you, try not to panic and be prepared to adapt your plans. Make backup plans if you have any doubt.
Due the differing levels in development, cities tend to be much more accessible than rural areas. This is, no doubt, an obvious traveling tip, but don’t shy away from taking the plunge and visiting that countryside that you’ve always wanted to see…just try and research the area and get in touch with a local before you go. Local accommodation owners are often great people to ask about accessibility. If you do end up in a city, don’t fret about missing out on the rural side, it is often closer than you think. Take a look at this tip about Rome and it will provide a wonderful travel tip on escaping the bright lights of the city whilst also remaining in an accessible environment.
Public transport is still one of the biggest barricades stopping people with physical disabilities from traveling. Will the airline take my wheelchair or power chair? If they do, will the chair arrive in one piece? Traveling on trains is often one of the most accessible choices of transport as (most) stations have ramps to help you on/off trains and there is nearly always a spot reserved for wheelchairs. Trains in Europe are, in general, accessible and organized, making them a preferable form of transport for many people. A traveling tip from Tiplr is to optimize your use of trains. They are often one of the most accessible forms of transport, as the trains themselves lack steps and have announcements in various languages to let you know what is going on. It is, however, highly recommended that you try and book your train journeys before heading out. Have a look at this tip all about train travel in Italy. One bit of advice for those of you who are willing to go for it and take the risk of not booking tickets before, try and find out if the station and platform you are traveling to is accessible.
One final tip on transport, Google maps now has a wheelchair friendly option to it, making it easier to plan your journeys. As it is a new feature, this is currently only available for London, Mexico City, Tokyo, Boston and Sydney. It won’t be long until there are more places added to the list though, so keep an eye out!
The community of smart travelers is real and ready to help you travel smart. We are active on several specific Facebook groups. Join us now yo get direct travel tips about the most exciting destinations
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. Void where prohibited by law. Subject to all federal, state and local laws. Contest begins at 12:01 a.m. US Eastern Time (“ET”) on 5/8/2018 and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on 7/31/2018. (the “Contest Period”). Sponsor’s computer is the official time keeping device for this Contest.
1. Eligibility: The Tiplr’s Best Travel Tip Award (the “Contest”) is open to all the users of the digital platform Tiplr who are 21 years of age or older as of time of entry. Employees, officers, and directors of Tiplr, Inc., and any of their respective parents, subsidiaries, divisions, affiliated companies, dealers, sales representatives, licensees, service agencies, independent contractors, advertising and promotion agencies, web hosting and service and fulfillment providers (all of the foregoing, collectively, “Contest Entities”), and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses) and those living in the same household of each (whether legally related or not), are ineligible to enter or win the Contest. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and to Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. Winning the prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. Sponsor reserves the right to verify the eligibility of the Grand Prize winner.
2. Sponsor: The Sponsor is Tiplr, Inc., 195 Plymouth St. Brooklyn, NY 11201
3. How to Enter: There is NO PURCHASE NECESSARY to participate. A purchase does not increase your chances of winning. There is one (1) way to enter the Contest:
Via microsite: To enter, visit https://tiplr.co/award, complete all required fields of the onscreen registration form and follow the instructions to receive one (1) entry into the Contest. Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. ET on 7/31/2018 to be included in the Best Travel Tip contest.
By entering, you agree to receive emails and join the newsletter lists of Sponsor. No information regarding entries, other than as otherwise set forth in these Official Rules, will be disclosed. Limit one (1) entry per person/email address per method of entry. Any attempt by any entrant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void such entries and that entrant may be disqualified. Use of any automated or computer system to participate is prohibited and will result in disqualification. Normal Internet access and usage charges imposed by your online service may apply. If entering via mobile device, normal phone/data and usage charges imposed by your phone service may apply. Standard data rates may apply if entering via mobile device.
Incomplete, corrupted, or untimely entries are void and will be disqualified. Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for late, illegible, incomplete, or misdirected entries; lost, interrupted, or unavailable network, server, or other connections; or miscommunications, computer or software malfunctions, telephone transmission problems, technical failures, garbled transmissions, damage to a user’s computer equipment (software or hardware), or other errors or malfunctions of any kind, whether human, mechanical, electronic or otherwise. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, Internet service provider, or other organization (which may include an employer) responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Potential Grand Prize Winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder. Entries specifying an invalid, non-working, or inactive email address will be disqualified and ineligible to win.
4. Selection of Grand Prize Winner and Winner Notification: One (1) Grand Prize Winner (“Grand Prize Winner”) will be assigned to the “Best Travel Tip” created on the platform Tiplr (website or iOS app) and the winner will be defined on writing and other skills basis by a panel of judges selected by Sponsor and communicate via email or web channels before the end of 2018 . The potential Grand Prize Winner will be selected from the Travel tips submitted by contest participants on Tiplr during the Contest Period. The potential Grand Prize Winner will be notified via e-mail to the e-mail address provided on the contest entry form. Potential Grand Prize Winner must respond to the email within 48 hours of notification attempt or prize will be forfeited and an alternate Grand Prize Winner will be selected and notified. Once the potential winner has responded, Sponsor will send, via email, an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release which must be executed and returned within 5 days. The contest will be conducted by Sponsor, whose decisions on all matters relating to the Contest shall be final and binding. At the sole discretion of the Sponsor, disqualification, forfeiture and the selection of an alternate Grand Prize Winner may result from any of the following: (1) a potential Grand Prize Winner’s failure to respond to any email notification by the deadline stated within the notification; (2) the return of an email notification as undeliverable after three (3) attempts; (3) potential Grand Prize Winner’s failure to provide Sponsor with satisfactory proof of age, identity and residency; (4) potential Grand Prize Winner’s failure to confirm address and validly claim the prize by the deadline stated within the notification; (5) the potential Grand Prize Winner’s failure to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability/Publicity Release by the deadline stated within the notification; and (6) any other non-compliance with the Official Rules. In the event of prize forfeiture, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, award or not award the forfeited prize to an alternate Grand Prize Winner. Prize will be awarded, provided that it is validly claimed within a week from the announcement, after which no alternate Grand Prize Winner will be selected, nor will an unclaimed prize be awarded. Potential Grand Prize Winner is subject to verification by Sponsor, whose decisions are final and BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE CONTEST. An entrant is not the Grand Prize Winner of the prize unless and until entrant’s eligibility has been verified and entrant has been notified that verification is complete.
Tip’s Creation Guidelines
Tips must be in English (Quality of English will be evaluated and any tips in another language will not be accepted)
Each tip must be at least 150 words
Topic of tip must be travel
Each entrant must create at least 10 tips using their Tiplr account (But there is no limit to the number of tips created)
Each tip must have a good quality photo (When using the website, photos should be at least 800 pixels in width)
Best Tip’s Evaluation Criteria
Quality of text (i.e. well-written, in fluent English, unique/original, off the beaten path, avoids mainstream travel topics, etc.)
Authenticity of information provided
“Smartness” of tip
Ability to select the proper category and location for each tip
5. Grand Prize is a Gift card valued at $1,000 (USD) and it will be delivered to the winner via regular mail or digitally.
Prize Restrictions: Prize cannot be substituted, assigned, transferred, or redeemed for cash; however, Sponsor reserves the right to make equivalent prize substitution at its sole discretion if any advertised prize (or portion of prize) becomes unavailable. Grand Prize Winner is responsible for any loss of prize or portion of prize after it has been delivered. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen prize. Any and all applicable federal, state, and local taxes and all fees and expenses related to acceptance and use of prize not specifically stated herein are the sole responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner.
6. General Conditions: By entering or participating in the Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules, and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. Contest Entities are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information or technical failures of any kind, (2) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; or (3) any other computer, network, technical, human or other error, problem or malfunction that may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing of entries, or the selection or notification of Grand Prize winner. Further, if, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned for reasons outside the control of the Sponsor which, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, may corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest (or portion thereof), Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest (or portion thereof) and in the event of cancellation, the prize will be awarded in a random drawing from among all eligible entries received prior to cancellation. Sponsor also reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify the entry of any individual found to be (a) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or any website operated by the Contest Entities; (b) using any robotic, macro, automatic, programmed or like entry methods, which will void all such entries; (c) violating these Official Rules or the terms of service, conditions of use, and/or general rules of any Sponsor property or service; or (d) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person. Contest Entities are not responsible for claims, injuries, losses or damages of any kind resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the awarding, delivery, acceptance, use, misuse, possession, loss or misdirection of the prize; participation in this Contest or in any activity or travel related thereto or from any interaction with, or downloading of, computer Contest information.
7. Release and Limitations of Liability: By entering, each entrant agrees to defend, indemnify, release and hold harmless Contest Entities from and against any and all losses, demands, damages, rights, claims, actions and liabilities of any kind arising out of or related to (i) entrant’s participation in the Contest or (ii) entrant’s participation in any prize-related activities (including, without limitation, any property loss, damage, personal injury or death caused to any person(s). The Grand Prize Winner and travel companion(s) assume all liability for any injury, death, or damage caused, or allegedly caused, by participating in this Contest or use or redemption of the prize. Any disputes that may arise hereunder shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of New York without regard to the conflicts of laws principles of any jurisdiction. Venue with respect to any such disputes shall be had in the state and federal courts of the State of New York. All taxes are the responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner, who may receive an IRS Form 1099 reflecting the final actual value of the prize, if applicable.
Entrants, by participating, agree that the Contest Entities, and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents will have no liability whatsoever for, and shall be held harmless by entrants against, any liability, for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including death, to persons, or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize or participation in this Contest.
8. Publicity. As a condition of entry into the Contest, except where prohibited by law, each entrant and potential Grand Prize Winner by accepting the prize grants to the Contest Entities, a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license and right, to publicize, broadcast, display and/or otherwise use the Contest entrant’s name, city, state, biographical material and Instagram handle in any media now known or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity for advertising and publicity purposes, without additional review, compensation, permission or approval of Grand Prize Winner.
9. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the District of New York or the appropriate State Court located in New York; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of New York or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York.
10. Privacy: The personal information collected through this Contest is subject to Tiplr, Inc. Policy, located: https://tiplr.com/privacy-policy
11. Official Rules and Winner List: To obtain a copy of these Official Rules or for Grand Prize Winner list requests, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: “Tiplr, Inc. 195 Plymouth St. Brooklyn, NY 11201”. Requests for Grand Prize Winner lists must be received no later than three months after the end of the Contest Period.
The information you provide will only be used in connection with this Contest or in connection with promotional or other activities of Tiplr, Inc.
The community of smart travelers is real and ready to help you travel smart. We are active on several specific Facebook groups. Join us now yo get direct travel tips about the most exciting destinations